About Mission, KS
Small nomadic Kansas and Osage Indian tribes lived in Northeast Kansas before white settlers arrived. In 1825, the federal government gave all of Johnson County to the Shawnee tribe, which had emigrated from Ohio and Missouri. In 1854, the Kansas – Nebraska Act terminated the Indian reservation and opened up the land for white settlers. A wagon trail was established between Independence, Mo and Santa Fe, Nm. The trail wound from Westport through Mission, Overland Park, and Olathe. Two watering stops were in areas of 5920 Maple and 6201 W. 61st Terrace.
Originally called Mission Hill Acres in 1926, this suburb was sub-divided into 245 lots and offered by the Breyfogel family for sale. By 1935 there were five businesses; a drug store, restaurant, hardware and dry goods store, a barber shop, and a cleaning and pressing establishment. Postal authorities recommended in 1938 that the name of Mission Hill Acres be shortened to Mission.
People come to Mission from all directions, to work and shop, see their doctors, dentists, lawyers and other professionals, and enjoy “big city services” in a friendly, small-town atmosphere. You’d expect to travel a hundred miles into rural Kansas to find a place like Mission, but it’s only minutes away from all the excitement of Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas, and enjoys the safe and friendly residential atmosphere of Johnson County, Kansas.